Architecture Job Listings
Would you like to join our team?
Board & Vellum is an engaged group of design professionals, collaborating on single-family, multifamily, commercial, and civic projects — large and small. Creating spaces and communities people love is why we get up in the morning. With architecture, interior design, and landscape architecture teams in-house, we thrive on building integrated teams to design and deliver beautiful, thoughtful projects.
If this sounds great to you, too, you just may be a great fit for our team. Your personality and attitude are more important than your skill set; however, all roles share a set of General Qualifications. Open positions are listed below. For each, please consider the General Qualifications, as well as the role-specific qualifications included in each open job listing.
- Bachelor or Master of Architecture, or commensurate working experience in the industry.
- Experience with Built Green, Passive House, or other sustainable practices earns bonus points.
- Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign), and Microsoft Office, along with a general comfort with technology.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Well-honed graphic presentation and visual communication skills.
- Desire to be involved in every phase of projects.
- Proactive, engaged, and able to handle multiple projects and tasks.
- Passionate about asking questions and engaging in critique.
- Dedicated to a practice of constant learning and continuing education.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, cross-disciplinary, creative environment.
Let’s get into the details.
We value flexible working hours, treating each other with respect, having fun, maintaining a work/life balance, bad jokes, and speaking in a language our clients can understand.
We offer competitive salary and benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; paid professional memberships; 401k matching; paid time to volunteer in your community; four weeks of vacation; holiday and discretionary time; free ORCA pass; wellness reimbursement; and a bunch of damn great people to work with.
Board & Vellum is a dog-friendly office, and a non-smoking environment. Part of our commitment to the health of our office community includes required COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees. Our office is on Capitol Hill, within walking distance to all the fun stuff you want to do. We run a hybrid office with some required in-office days and some (optional) work-from-home days, though we are open to fully-remote workers when they are non-local.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. Compensation will be commensurate with professional work experience. Our opportunities do not offer visa support.
Senior Architect / Manager: Single-Family Studio Manager
Board & Vellum is looking for an awesome and experienced individual to join our team to manage the single-family projects under the direction of a Principal. You’ll be coordinating workload, mentoring staff, working with the various market and sector leads, and coordinating with the firm’s Leadership Team on implementing strategic project goals. The ideal candidate is extremely organized, works well with clients and colleagues, and is driven to help grow a creative design firm. This position requires the ability to manage others, coordinate workflow, assign project teams, actively mentor, and oversee the project delivery processes. Salary commensurate with experience, range: $100k-$120k.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in custom residential design.
- Professional license strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage others, coordinate workflow, assign project teams, mentor, and oversee project delivery processes.
- Proven experience coordinating workload and project deliverables across multiple projects.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to lead teams.
- Ability to fully run multiple custom residential projects, including complex projects, and lead project teams collaboratively.
- Excellent grasp of assembling contract documents.
- Participate in the proposal and fee development process for new project prospects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with clients and skill in client care.
- Familiarity with Seattle codes and permitting is a plus.
- Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Adobe Creative Suite (as appropriate to the role).
- We are a data-driven company; learning and proficiently using our project management software (CMAP, Airtable, Slack) is critical to your success.
- Be strongly self–sufficient, and able to handle multiple projects and tasks.
Would you like to learn a little more about us?
Awesome! Feel free to explore the pages below, and — of course — feel free to reach out to us if you have something particular you’d like to ask.
We are changing the game when it comes to what it’s like to work in an architecture firm. We provide great benefits, a fun and supportive place to work, and everyone has a say in the direction of the firm. Don’t be surprised if you hear laughter ringing through our office — we have a lot of fun together!